http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10101;76;0;1/c/173/t/120/s/180/k/06d6/weight.png

Just knitting on...

A record of my knitting projects and events of my life

Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's been a while

Where does the time go? Rhetorical question of course. The weather has gone from temperatures in the 50's in Northeast Ohio to the 80's and the last week has been hot and humid. I knit less in the hot weather, since I don't have air conditioning and my hands sweat. After two hours of thunderstorms last night, it has cooled off to a more seasonal temperature. Hopefully, I'll get some knitting time tonight.

The Opal Rodeo Socks are finished.





















They were just a generic sock pattern, from Katherina Buss' Big Book of Knitting. I used US 2 double points. The yarn was Opal Rodeo, but I don't know the shade number. I think I threw out the ball band from the 100 gm ball.

Next on the needles is another (surprise! not.) pair of socks. They are the slouch socks from the book Socks, Socks, Socks.



But there is a problem, can you guess what it is?


See that teensy ball of yarn? That is what is left of a 50 gram ball of yarn. I have, oh, maybe another two inchs before reaching the toe decreases. There is no way I will have enough yarn to finish this sock. And I have only one more 50 gram ball of this yarn. What could have been the problem here? Listen my children and learn from the error of my ways. I didn't check gauge. I know, I know! It's a sock, ok? My method with socks is to try it on as I knit and if it fits, I keep going. This usually works fine. Usually. How to fix this particular problem? Well, here are the options:

1. Go to the LYS and buy more yarn. The problem with this option is that I bought this yarn a year ago and I bought the only two balls on the shelf. It's possible they might have another tucked away somewhere, but I don't think this is likely. Besides this yarn shop is 45 minutes away from my house, which means spending $2.65 /gallon gasoline to drive there and back and spending an hour and a half in the car. Note that I don't have a problem with time spent in the shop itself searching for yarn or any money actually spent on yarn while there. :0)

2. Frog the entire thing and reknit. I could shorten the a cuff at least a half an inch and maybe eliminate one of the slouch ridges. I could measure gauge before I frog and if I'm really off, maybe even just going up a size from US 1 to US 2 double points would do it. I'm sure it would be more fun than beating my head against the wall.

3. Frog and knit an entirely different sock. This yarn would probably make a nice simple stockinette sock with pretty stripes. I could try a toe up sock, and I could cast off when I run out of yarn. If it's an ankle sock, then it's an ankle sock.

Ok, I'm leaving now to think on it.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Love both pairs of socks! I really like bright colors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home